Monday, August 26, 2013

Why am I doing this?

There is always a reason to start your own business. Independence, being your own boss, financial gains.
I agree that all of these are important rationales in wanting to own a business.

The main reason I want to be successful is to be able to take care of my family, my current and future one. My parents have taken care of me through now and I want to build something in order for me to take care of them as they get older. They think I am gambling my future away. I'm not. I trust in my business sense, my intuition, and myself. But even if I were, I'd wish they would realize that for them, it's worth it.

The worst thing my mother ever said to me was this. "How can I trust you to take care of me when I'm old"? Yes this is a rough translation from Chinese and she said it in the heat of an argument. But I don't think she realized how hurtful this one sentence was to me. I flipped a table, smashed my TV, and just broke down and cried. How could she say something like that to me? She came up to apologize, realizing what she had said. But it hurt so badly. I think about it to this day. Maybe she didn't really mean it but if she had that in her mind to actually say it out loud... what kind of son am I that the thought of not taking care of her ever crossed her mind? I actually tear up every time I reread this. Everything I do is for my family. Making money off yu-gi-oh and nursing so my parents don't have to worry about me. Putting money away for my car so my parents wouldn't have to chip in. Saving here and there to give some cash to my sister so my parents don't have to.

I am doing this for my family. I want to be able to make enough money at something I enjoy so that I can live a long life while being able to take care of my family. Working as a nurse in Southern California did not make me happy, almost depressed even, and it certainly didn't allow me to save money fast enough to take care of my family in the next 5 years. With my sister's college tuition and car needs mounting, and my parents' retirement age impending, I feel like this is a calculated and necessary risk that I must take on for the greater well-being of my family. Maybe this sounds altruistic. Who doesn't want to make money for themselves to spend? But the truth of the matter is that no amount of money can make up for my family and starting this business can allow me to hopefully have the best of both: money to take care of me and my family, doing something I thoroughly enjoy.

-Wilson


No comments:

Post a Comment